Thursday, December 27, 2007

Smoking butts suck

I went to work on Monday with one of my kids to do the office xmas thing and as we were leaving she asked me why the ground outside the doors to the Main building were covered in cigarette butts.

Gee, what was I supposed to tell her? "I dunno, smokers have bad aim? They're natural born litter bugs? They like to share their disgusting habit with anyone and everyone?"

Seriously, how hard is it to hit an ashtray with a cigarette butt? I manage to put all my garbage in a can. I don't chuck burning crap outta my window when I'm driving either, or empty my ashtray at a red light(mostly because I don't smoke).

It's good to see this particular habit becoming less popular. Truth is, I like most smokers because they're so god damned sociable! It's just that they're not gonna be around that long so we should be nice to them while they're still with us I guess.

1 comment:

Evolving Squid said...

It's one of the things that always bugged me about smokers... even when I was a smoker.

The overwhelming majority believe that the world is their ashtray. And strangely enough, the overwhelming majority of the world continues to tolerate the flicking of butts out windows, or stomping them on the groung, or just flicking them wherever is convenient for the smoker.

It's really funny to watch a smoker rag on someone for missing a garbage can with a wrapper as if it is a mortal sin, and then immediately flick their fag on the ground and leave as if cigarette butts aren't litter.

Littering carries a $105 fine in Ottawa. I'd love to see that enforced on smokers.