Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Sea Monkeys! They're real! (sorta)

Auntie Louise gave my kids one of these Sea Monkey kits for Christmas. I think I was more excited then my 6 year old was. I hearken back to the mid-70's when I started to read comic books and I recall seeing full page ads for these little frickin' guys all the time. They always showed a family and in the background was a little undersea kingdom and all that. The head SeaMonkey was always holding a trident to overcompensate for the fact that he had no genitalia.

So my kid is a bit disappointed that a bunch of hairy aquatic undersea monkeys didn't hatch out of the freeze-dried container, and start building a crystal city underwater.. But they are still cool! They look like the Aliens from The Abyss. Pretty freaky that they can live in a packet of dust for 2 or 3 years and just pop out when you add water. If there's ever a total nuclear war, Sea Monkeys will inherit the earth!! (along with cockroaches.

To the left here is a little animated GIF of an actual Sea Monkey. Cool eh?

There is a neat disclaimer on the package. If you manage to somehow kill them all, if you drain the water out and wait 5 days, then add water again. The hatching's come back to life.. Mother Nature can be freaky sometimes!

1 comment:

Scott said...

My son failed with sea monkeys. Is that a filter/pump you have in that tank?

For Xmas, my sister gave my son a kit for these little guys: http://mytriops.com/

Kinda like sea monkeys, but creepier and more prehistoric looking. I'm not sure how well he'll do with keeping these ones. :-/