Friday, May 05, 2006

GPS-less for a few days - Garmin 60Cx

I'm GPS-less for a few days(sigh). I feel uhh, incapable of navigation. I better not go anywhere new this weekend or I'll get lost(grin). I sold my GPSMAP 60C and ordered it's upgrade the 60Cx from GPS Central in Calgary along with a 1GB MicroSD transflash card, cause in addition to the improved satellite reception, it takes expandable memory cards so you can fill it up with map info. Tigerdirect had these cards on for $60 and GPS Central Priced matched so that saved $30.. The old 60C had 56MB internal storage. So from 56MB to like 1024MB. Dat's a lot of maps!

I said I wasn't gonna do this, but, techno-slut that I am.. Couldn't help it... I spend hours standing still in the forest getting eaten alive by mosquitoes holding the GPS up to the sky averaging coords, pointing the thing at different angles trying to get as many birds talking at once.. If this thing saves me from doing that, then it is money well spent!

And it's not that the 60C is all that bad! It's a question of cover.. In an open area it's gonna be about the same but under snow-covered trees or in a downpour... I'll be set!!

When I was downloading my waypoints to give it to the new owner empty (I had lots of sexy geo-waypoints in there! Sleepless, One-time pad, bla bla bla..) I thought I should put some fake ones in, like DEADBODY1, VICTIM3, GRAVE17, hehehehehe. But uhh.. I didn't..

No comments: