Saturday, May 13, 2006

VE Day May 8th 1945

We celebrated my Dad's birthday on Saturday and my Grandmother and Aunts and Uncles were over. My aunt told me a funny story from when she was a kid about my late grandmother on my mother's side on May 8th 1945, Victory in Europe day. My grandmother apparently made a big Hitler doll out of clothes and cloth, stuffed with newspaper, threw a big rope noose around it's neck, and the whole family went down to Parliament hill (what they used to call confusion square) and drove around with Hitler hanging by the neck from the rumble seat of their 1936-whatever car. The place was packed, ticker tape flying everywhere, people kissing total strangers. I don't know what the plan for the doll was (burn it?), but someone stole it off the back of the car at one point..

Man.. My grandmother made a Hitler doll.

Go figure!

No comments: