Thursday, March 30, 2006

Ark II and the PDA Gauntlet

Last year I was looking at this crazy thing to make it easier to refer to my PDA while in the field. Usually I need it at night when I'm in the woods with a flashlight in one hand and god knows what in the other. No room for the PDA. Kindy geeky but very functional. I probably wouldn't wear it during the day(grin).

Anyhow, it occurred to me that since I was a kid, I've always thought it pretty cool to have devices attached to your forearm to make them accessible, be they Bounty Hunter armorments, Com links, whatetever.. I was suddenly reminded of this old Sid and Marty Kroft show I used to watch as a kid called Ark II (and bloody hell! it's in Wikipedia!) . And GadZoinks, some site even has a video of the cheesy 70's intro scene!

It had all the strappings of a fine TV show for youngsters, the cute girl, the cool truck thing with the little mini-buggy in the back, and it even had a frickin monkey!

I recall building a replica out of lego in 1976. The doors of the Ark opened up like a private jet's, the lower door turning into the walk way. From what I remember there was a nuclear war, everyone was all radiated and weirdo-looking, and these kids in buck rogers outfits with those cool wrist gauntlet comlinks drove around the outback with a monkey trying to save everybody. The oldest guy was the old 'Jack' from the Y&R (he's dead now).

What a great freakin show! They should release all that old 70's crap on DVD. People like me will buy it.

No comments: